Mindset, “What I have”, “What I don’t have”

All too often we keep repeating to ourselves in our mind the things we don’t have, or are not able to do. I believe a better way of seeing this would be, to constantly repeat in our minds what we actually have and what we are able to do.

This reflection comes as I am recovering from a hip injury which is taking around 8 months so far and is expected to take longer. 

I can see now that every time I focused on the things I was not able to do (such as playing the soccer tournament with my team, running, and sometimes feeling pain from just taking the stairs, or even walking), every time I focused on what I was not able to do my mind was filling with thoughts that didn’t serve me any good.

I took an early decision of focusing in what I have, and what I can do. While probably soccer, running and jumping was not within my possibilities at the time, I was so glad I was still able to do cycling without much difficulty, and of course I could always have the opportunity to improve all type of skills which are more from the mind.

BOTTOM LINE

8 months later after my hip injury, I can see that the approach of focusing on what I have and what I can do, is a powerful one, it made me realise that I can still walk (I know that sounds weird, but all too often we take it for granted), I started enjoying of morning walks after breakfast and then after each meal to improve digestion.

That approach was awesome! Now I don’t need and excuse to go for a walk and enjoy just that. Time later as I became more consistent with the walking routine I realised I could do a bit of very slow running, basically same speed as walking but with the gesture of running. 

Months later I find myself doing running, and while I still don’t feel confident in trying soccer yet, I can see the progress, how I get less and less discomfort in my hip. I also found some other ways to strengthen my hip which involves near areas and muscles like legs and abs. 

Body self awareness is an important factor in all of that. It is focusing on our body a lot so we can quickly identify what the body needs and when to stop. Also the “slowly but surely” which I mean, just the fact of showing up in the park and do simple slow progress. 

CONCLUSION 

My hip injury has been an opportunity. An opportunity to approach life in a different way. To strengthen other areas of my self. To learn and to appreciate what we actually have, and can do.



Sergio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asking for help, the skill that no one taught me

The Addiction to mobile phones is real

Does my partner help me bring the good out of me? Do I help my partner show the best of them?