Why did I buy a property?

Honestly, I wanted to provide a solid answer to anyone questioning the way I use my time. 

I do like that the market value is constantly going up, the safety and peace of mind it provides, the approval from family and friends, and perhaps the “admiration” I imagined others might feel, in other words, it was guided by what “everybody” seems to want. I enjoyed the process of working towards a challenging objective.

However, after more reflection, I now know why I wanted to buy a property and put so much effort into this. And it is the same reason I wanted to finish my bachelor’s degree in engineering as fast as possible (took me almost 7 years, which incredibly is the average for the small percentage of those who actually finish it in that well renowned university). 

The reason? I wanted my freedom. Freedom has many ways of seeing it. For me it meant spending the time doing the activities that I like. 

I didn’t know but my family’s and friend's expectations guided me for a long way. I was constantly thinking and aiming to gain their recognition. So much so, I studied what was seeing as a great program in a renowned University, traveled overseas, however still guided by similar principles, worked hard to buy a property and attained a master degree as well. 

Where is all of that ending? Did I actually want all of that? I was guided by a need of seeking approval and “admiration” from close ones or anyone. Which I received in some way, but then again, what’s after that? Will I get a bigger property? The next high qualification and promotion in a job to maintain an image guided by status? 


I constantly say books are like travelling, it’s like opening the door to new experiences and a new world, yet, only some people seem to agree or understand what I mean. Up to this point I believe my main wealth is the wealth of knowledge I have come to acquire through reading, experiencing, meeting people, and reflecting. 

Learning how to live life is a real science and comprehensive topic. There is a reason why we all feel deflated at some point in our lives wondering why we do what we do and how we got there. Should I keep aiming at approval and recognition from family and peers? What should we maximise for?

 It’s a long process, but one that is worth it, and ultimately, we are the direct beneficiaries as well as those surrounding us. We all benefit when we learn about ourselves and live in an authentic way being more true to our inner self.


Conclusion 

I built a “visible wealth” of buying a property and attaining degrees, just so people don’t question what I actually do with my time nowadays building my “real wealth” on how I aim for being a better person, learning about myself, others, the world that surrounds us, enjoying the process, and the hope of making out of this, something with a higher purpose that just myself.


Morning reflection, being clear with myself. 



Note. I re-read my reflection after finishing and posting. I’m not fully satisfied about how I conveyed the main idea. The music I was listening to didn’t have the right beat at the time I was most inspired and I found myself trying to retain and put an idea into writing that initially looked so clear in my mind but for some reason started vanishing also as I started doing editions.

Feeling inspired is a great feeling, and it’s also important to take the time, and aim for appropriate conditions when we create something. I was not fully contented with the end result as I didn’t feel it totally reflected my initial thought and inspiration, but that’s how it is. It’s good to be at peace with ourselves that we try our best, and this is a process, improving day by day.

“Don’t let perfection be the enemy of good” Zeneca, one of the main Stoics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asking for help, the skill that no one taught me

The Addiction to mobile phones is real

Does my partner help me bring the good out of me? Do I help my partner show the best of them?